EDM micromachining with V7 technology
Posalux micro-EDM solutions for all high-end productive micro-drilling needs, based on more than 20 years of experience in demanding automotive applications.
The process is based on the electro-erosion principle. Material is removed from the workpiece by a series of rapidly recurring current discharges between two electrodes, separated by a dielectric liquid and subject to an electric voltage. One of the electrodes is called the tool-electrode, or simply the “tool” or “electrode,” while the other is called the workpiece-electrode, or “workpiece.” The process depends upon the tool and workpiece not making actual contact.
In order to machine high quality micro holes the Posalux EDM machines have a tilting head with deformation by pressure that allows to control the diameter of the hole, resulting in a run-out of the tool electrode. The electrode turns with a decentering, giving two different gaps, one where sparks erode the material and another, bigger one, allowing a better flushing of eroded materials. In combination with CNC driven axis and a high-speed interface to communicate with the micro EDM generator, perfect micro holes are the result.
The use of the latest, integrated SARIX μ-EDM technology allows machining with high quality and efficiency, meeting the needs of mass production scenarios.
Automotive – Spray hole drilling in Diesel and gasoline injection nozzle.
Microdrilling of valve plates.
Electrode guiding system
The integrated advanced electrode guiding system precisely feeds the smallest electrode available on the market, down to 35 μm.
Quality and expertise
- Flow check system to characterize repeatability and stability
- Optical and fiber non-destructive measurements to control hole diameter, shape and position
- Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM)
- Hole diameter from 70 μm in production up to 2 mm (0.003 to 0.08 inch)
- Tapered hole with reverse taper up to 150 μm/mm
- Wall thickness / hole diameter ratio up to 12
- All shapes (square, rectangle, oblong, …)
- All conductive material
- Without burr and material deposit, no micro-crack
- Flow stability: +/- 3 % Cp 1.67
- Smooth roughness: Ra < 0.3 μm ; Rz < 1 μm
- 6 holes application diameter 150 μm , thickness 0.8 mm :
Erosion time : 25 s / hole
Specific devices and solutions
- Automatic loading / unloading
- Accurate clamping devices
- Technology support (μ-EDM parameters)
- User interface options
- The shifting and guiding collets precisely feed the smallest electrodes available in the market, down to 35 μm.
- Spindle rotation up to 3500 rpm for shortest erosion time and optimised material ablation.
- The erosion z-axis with parallel deformation parallelogram type which removes mechanical axis resonances.